Tuesday 28 June 2011

Life is Like a Bike Ride

I love the sport of cycling, I love watching races, I love riding my bike, and I love teaching spin classes and hooking the “I just want to burn a lot of calories” crowd on to my favourite sport. What I love most about cycling are the climbs. Years ago, a friend of mine (I wish I knew where he was now) told me that I made life intentionally difficult for myself. I am sure I am not alone in doing so; I believe many of us live this way.

When I think about going out for a ride, images of long stretches of flat, smooth road are not what spring to mind. That kind of ride sounds mind-numbingly boring to me. I imagine a hot, sunny day, lots of rolling hills and ideally at least one brutal climb that makes me question my worth as a bike rider. That, to me, is an awesome day on the bike. I have not yet gotten off my bike and walked it up a climb, nor turned around and avoided one. I’m not saying it will never happen, but I hope it doesn’t. It is no surprise that my “bucket list” includes riding up two mountains (Ventoux and Alp d’ Huez, in case you are wondering).
 
I regularly do an experiment with my karate students. It’s not new and I certainly didn’t invent it. I pick a small student and ask them to raise their arms to the side. I instruct the student not to let me push their arms down, and then I do so with complete ease. Next I have the student close his or her eyes and visualize steel beams coming from the wall, through one arm, through the chest and out the other arm. I ask them to focus on how sold and strong that steel support is. Then I hang off their arms, lifting all my weight off the floor – every time, without fail.

I don’t think I am a drama queen, despite my days in the theatre and the protestations to the contrary of my last boyfriend (he should talk!). The reason I love the climbs is the test of my mettle. I probably approach most aspects of my life the same way. I wouldn’t call myself an adrenalin junkie, by any means. Yes, I like to challenge myself, but I don’t know if I do so more than the average person. I don’t know a lot of average people. I do know a lot of people who literally get a light in their eyes when they speak of overcoming something very difficult. It’s not about bragging rights and it is not about pride. It’s about seeing what really is possible instead of listening to what is impossible. I was going to end this entry with, “try it, you just might like it”, but if you are a regular reader, you don’t need to be told that, you already live it.

1 comment:

Antithesis said...

*WARNING* If you don't like cycling or Kraftwerk, you should probably avoid my blog for the month of July

Total Pageviews