Sunday 24 November 2013

The Long Fist of the Dating Law

"Where do you meet people?" I hear this all the time from adults. Once outside of academic institutions, we generally only come into contact with other adults through work or through friends. If you've had the same friends long enough, you've probably met all their dating eligible friends already. Being a fan of continuing education and "special interest" classes, I continued to meet potential mates long after leaving university.

The longest relation I ever had was with someone I met at the dojo. We trained together for years, earning our black belts together. Like dating someone you work with (which I avoid), dating someone you train with can be awkward if the relationship ends. Regardless of how poorly it ends, you will still have the same Sensei so unless one of you plans of giving up martial arts, you will be thrust together, often and aggressively.

Fortunately my ex is a pretty mature guy and we have managed to remain, at least civil if not friends. Generally we see each other at seminars greet each other politely and then go with our different crowds. Recently though, we have been exchanging friendly text messages. Mostly regarding advice on gifts for Sensei, some have turned more personal and friendly. 

Great, I thought, we've turned a corner, we will be actual friends now. We meet at seminars and hug. We chat, we train together. All is good. Guards came down, spirits and friendly banter rose, all was good. And that was why I was caught off guard but not shocked when I was the recipient of a long fist to the nose at a kung fu seminar on Saturday.

You can't go home again, at least not without your guard up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL.
Nick

Total Pageviews