Sunday 1 May 2011

Hyperconnected, Terribly Disjointed

I’ve linked myself in, tweeted, emailed, texted and put in lots of facebook time. I am as connected as a woman could possibly be and yet I still haven’t a clue about what is going on in the life of too many of my friends. I suspect the more connected we become through technology, the greater and more embellished our public personas become and the more thwarted our real selves are.

I have gone entire weekends without stepping outside the house. It’s not something I am proud of. I also suspect that among my acquaintances, followers, fellow twits and faces few would ever guess that about me. The more able we are to communicate quickly, the less we seem to tell each other.  Perhaps we stay in touch more, but we barely say anything.  A text cannot replace a phone call and neither come close to the type of genuine exchange you get from sitting face to face with someone and actually speaking with them.  So, dear friends, I’m pulling the technological plug, sort of speak. As of tomorrow, I will communicate with you in full sentences (and full words). I will invite as many of you as I can to join me in outings, and to the rest, who are dreadfully far away, I will write letters. Perhaps they will be electronically delivered but they will contain as full a thought and language as I am capable. Let the new (old school) social experiment begin!

If you can’t reach me over the next little while, look for a garden, I’ve probably stopped there to smell the roses and maybe read a book, the kind you still have to turn pages on.

No comments:

Total Pageviews