Tuesday 27 March 2012

Stealth Co-habitation

As I mentioned in my last post, I moved in December and now I finally have the wifi to tell the tale. Like all DIY moves it had challenges, sleeplessness, rain, etc. but we got through it reasonably unscathed. I would like to clarify again that I moved....or so I thought.

It all started innocently enough with a toothbrush and some toothpaste left at my place for the "unplanned" sleepovers. That is both fine and understandable, though as a person whose toothpaste brand is whichever one is on sale, I found the strong toothpaste preference to be a little on the odd side. No matter, there is plenty room in the cabinet for two pastes and as long as we both have clean teeth, I'm happy. 

The occasional sleep over became pluralized and all was good and happy. A laptop was brought over for some practical reason that now escapes me. Then extra clothes, also very practical. Now I am looking at the calendar and I cannot remember the last time he didn't sleep at my place. We never had a conversation about living together; no arrangement of any kind was ever made. Bit by bit his things just started showing up at my place and not leaving again and then one day I realized that we were living together by default. It works and we manage it fairly well despite my protests to friends several months ago that I absolutely did not want to live with anyone. My guy has completely made a liar out of me, because it turns out that I do enjoy living with him. Yes we have our scrimmages and I still love those rare occasions when I come home to an empty house - such a great feeling - but I also like knowing he'll be there with a big hug when I get home. How did this happen?

Perhaps that's the approach to take with a commitmentphobe. Just ease into it gradually, almost imperceptibly and whatever you do, do not "talk" about it!

No comments:

Total Pageviews